Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Miss Independent

You, 18 months old, on the top stair saying no, refusing my help, wanting to walk down all by yourself.

Me, using all my patience to stand there with outstretched hand. Careful not to touch you, knowing you will grab my hand at the last second because you can not actually walk down without falling.

You, repeating this process for all of the 12 steps in our home. Always first wanting to go down by yourself, then realizing you need mommy's help.

Me, smiling to myself remembering as a kid that I told my mom I would rather roll a gutter ball than have her teach me to bowl.

You teaching me, as we tackle the stairs, an important lesson in parenting. Letting your children climb the stairs of life on their own, always in the background with an open hand, ready to help if they need it and ready to catch them if they fall.

No comments: