Friday, July 24, 2009

Memories of My Aunt Gloria

Every other summer, my family would load up the car and make the drive
down to Daytona Beach, Florida. It was and continues to be one of my favorite vacation spots. I have so many special memories from Daytona.
Riding the waves, lazing by the pool, shopping at the flea market, going into the
hotel room for a lunch of bologna sandwiches and fudgesicles (that we bought at the Winn Dixie across the street), then taking a long nap until it was time to get ready for dinner. Making it even more special to me is that it is where I met my husband. But some of my best and most cherished memories are with the Rileys.

Some part of my mom’s family had been traveling to Daytona for several generations. But, for most of my life it had been my family and my mom's brother's family (the Rileys)-Uncle Mike, Aunt Gloria and the kids. I loved the 15 hour drive down, talking with them and singing songs over the CB radio (and in later years cell phones), trying to decide where to stop and eat (of which we could never agree, but that was part of the fun), trying to decide where to spend the night (remember the Sleepyland Hotel?).

If you know the Rileys at all, you know what a constant source of
entertainment they are. Their funny stories, their constant back and
forth. There are so many stories I could tell, most that involve bowel movements or other bodily functions and lots and lots of giggling, but I won't go into all of that. Suffice it to say, they are all characters and Aunt Gloria was no exception. I can't honestly say what I enjoyed more, being in Florida or being with the Rileys. Every time I'm in Florida, I will always think of their family and Aunt Gloria.

But my special memories of her aren't limited to Florida. She has been my Aunt Gloria literally all my life as I was just a few weeks old when they got married. When I was a toddler just learning to talk they encouraged me to call them Aunt Pee-Pee and Uncle Poo-Poo, and what young kid wouldn't like that? When I was in elementary school, Aunt
Gloria babysat me after school. I remember she made the best cinnamon toast on the stove top-something I need to figure out how to make for my kids. Then, of course I babysat her kids for many years.

More flashes of memories:
- I have a vivid memory of going to Marlboro Pool with them and eating our
lunch outside the fence and Gloria putting mayo on her bologna sandwich (I thought everyone used mustard).
-One of my favorite things to do was listen to Gloria tell a story. She was always riled up about something and told it in such a funny way.
- For years, we spent New Years Eve with their family and even when I was old enough to go out and do my own thing, I still enjoyed spending this time with my family and the Rileys.
-Aunt Gloria and family making the trip to Phoenix for my wedding
-She always brought like 5 or more bathing suits to Florida and made several
outfit changes during the day.
-I remember swinging and singing in their back yard when they babysat me and
their neighbor who worked nights and slept during the day yelling at me and
Aunt Gloria went and gave him a piece of her mind for yelling at her little
niece.

I will always remember how special Aunt Gloria made me feel. Just the way she would look at me and turn her head and say, "Tetney (my family nickname) you're so
sweet, Tetney, you're so pretty." Or often, "Tetney, you are such a brat."
But she didn't mean that - it was kind of our thing. She would say it to
me and I would say it to her kids.

If I knew that mom had shown Gloria pictures of my daughter or updated her
on my life, I wanted to know exactly what she said because I knew she
would be gushing over things and have so many positive things to say.
Aunt Gloria was so special to me and I know I was special to her. The
Wednesday before she died, my mom had spent the night with her to relieve
Uncle Mike and her kids for a night. I had called my mom when she was
there and told her to tell Aunt Gloria that I loved her. I'm glad that I
got to tell her that one last time.

I'm sure in a couple of years, I will take my family to Daytona Beach and
I will think of all the times I went there as a kid and I will think of
Gloria and how much I miss her. I will imagine that she is looking down
on my little family and saying, "Tetney, your kids are such cute little
brats!"

2 comments:

Alaina said...

I am sooo sorry for your loss Steph. I loved reading your memories of your aunt, you write so well. It actually brought tears to my eyes as it reminded me of losing my grandpa a few weeks ago. Death is so hard to deal with, it still hasn't really sunk in for me yet. We will always have our memories to help us remember them and to pass on to our children what wonderful people they were.

Mama of two said...

What a nice testimony. I hope her girls have read this, they would enjoy it. She was a very sweet person.