Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Dog, the plants and the stuff in the fridge

Written by my mama, circa 1975 (I think-Mom, correct me if I'm wrong).

THE DOG, THE PLANTS, AND THE STUFF IN THE FRIDGE

Most of us have heard the age-old tale…
About the tied down housewife with her kids and her male.
This may sound different but family ties don’t bother me,
If all I had to worry with were humans – why, I’d be free.

There’s the dog - - she’s cute and smart, but she has caused some woes,
All that digging in the yard, then the kids leave the gate open and away she goes.
So I run the 50-yard dash to catch her much to the neighbor’s amaze,
And in addition to all this, she’s due for puppies in just a few days.

You want to hear about the houseplants? There’s some in every room.
I never have to buy them, they’re gifts from all occasions from July to June.
Plants are sunning in every window blocking out the fresh air,
They’re so pretty – I’d be a mean one if I didn’t give them care.

Now I’ve got a new hobby with this special sour dough stuff,
You keep it in the fridge and use it for baking bread and that’s not enough.
You can make cinnamon rolls and other recipes, it’s really quite good,
But there’s lots of rules, rest it for 3 days, use it in 6, I’m getting in a bad mood.

My husband wants to go on a two-week cruise; save some money, find a place for the kids.
Forget it, I said, it’s not the money or the kids. It’s the dog, the plants and the stuff in the fridge.
I’m not a slave to my house, husband or kids, or even playing a long game of bridge,
I think by now you understand – It’s the dog, the plants and the stuff in the fridge!

No comments: