Sunday, December 9, 2007

Intro to my book one day

I was crying on the plane again this weekend. No, I’m not afraid of flying. I was in the middle of one of the best books I’ve ever read and at a part written with such emotion that I couldn’t control it. I’m sure the flight attendant thought that I was leaving someone important behind or that Devon (who was sitting beside me snoring away) had made me upset, but I was just so overcome with emotion by this book. For some reason or another, I always find myself crying on the plane. It’s like my emotions are heightened at such a high altitude.

I fly a lot-usually a couple of times a month. I often bemoan our flight benefits because it seems we are never at home. But I realized something about myself in mid-crying jag this weekend. When I am up in the air, I am so inspired, by literally everything. I listen to the people around me, take notes and plan to write a book about my traveling adventures and all the conversations and people that I eavesdrop on. I read a running magazine and commit in my head to training for a marathon. I write a love poem to Devon and remember back sentimentally to a time would I would cry because I was leaving him in Houston for another 1-2 weeks. I write a retirement song for my dad and plan his retirement party in my head. I see an old lady crocheting and I am determined to take it up too. I tear out recipes from magazines and decide to try one new recipe a week.

In reality, my story ideas will sit in my carry-on bag; I will have to choose between exercising and making a nice dinner and will definitely not have time to make anything with yarn. When we land, real life will take over. But, just for now, 37,000 feet in the air, even though my eyes are red, there is snot running out of my nose and I have mascara running down my face, I am the person that I want to be.

No comments: